[rescue] The Practical Guide to FDDI

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sat Mar 29 18:27:09 CST 2003

Hey well... I just lost my only other FDDI capable machine... and the
machine that I was planning to begin the FDDI segment with... RIP
Crimson....

I was working on my HP D250 and had just gotten things going nicely...
installed the ANSI-C compiler, built bash... was working on building
openssl and was playing around with XonX by running an XDMCP broadcast
query... when POP! (well more of a click like a large monitor changing
resolutions) and the sounds in the next room were vastly different.
Turns out the Crimson's reset/circuit breaker switch had popped out...
ok so I turned the back switch off and the front one... pressed in the
reset, and powered everything on... machine runs for about 5 seconds
and then the switch pops back out.  Tried pulling everything from the
chassis ... same problem...so  I think the P/S is dead somehow... fans
still run.

So now I have two dead Power series SGI boxen... a dead Power Series
VGX R4400-150 which is in a Crimson chassis with the covers
switched...i.e. it used to be the Crimson... and a dead Crimson VGXT
r44K150.... GAH... and I loved this big red brick...

So far googling has turned up nothing that helps...

Andrew