[rescue] Hughes LAN / Whittaker Comm. monster rackmount hub

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Thu Mar 27 15:40:15 CST 2003

The local used computer guy got in a huge Hughes LAN Systems /
Whittaker Communications hub/switch.

These are multiple boxes about 7U-11U in height apiece.

For those of you looking for Intel i960's, each board has at least one
i960 on it.

Most of the enet ports are hub, not switch, but I was wondering about:

the utility of 10Base-FL (at least 30 ports)

What the heck is FOIRL?  The info I can get is that it is an older
version of 10Base-FL.

Some kind of weird ethernet-ATM concoction - what would that be used
for?  It had a big Xilinx chip and some local RAM.

Can anyone use this stuff?  I can get it for you cheap or close to
free.  But it all seems pretty much obsolete unless you need to set up
10BT links between places that you can't use wireless at.

--Patrick