[rescue] NetApp F720 question

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Mar 12 09:49:38 CST 2003

Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
> As far as I know (unless things have changed in the past year or so),
> there's no official hobbyist program, just license keys that get handed
> out with a "shhh! dont share this!" note. 8-)

I debated calling it a "hobbyist program", but I could't think of a better
term.  I agree, it's not official - other than getting the keys from a
NetApp rep.  It's very hush-hush, but they do freely give out license keys
to home users.  The NetApp management, at least a few years ago, was a bunch
of geeks - so they understood the importance of neat kit at home.  Also, all
the sales reps I've ever dealt with are Good People too - more than ready to
help out.

> When I inquired about a hobbyist program a year and a half ago, I got
> emails off-list from people on the Toasters list, and all of them had the
> exact same NFS license key.

There must be a single key that NetApp tells their people to give out to
home users.  I've seen the same key floating around a couple different
places.

--
Kurt                 " Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to flagellate
kurt at k-huhn.com        myself with a soldering iron."