[rescue] NetApp F720 question

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Mar 12 07:58:19 CST 2003

Gavin Hubbard <ghub005 at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi Lads
>
> I've got an opportunity to pick up a cheap NetApp F720 for the home lab.
> Unfortunately it has a fairly basic configuration - a single F7 drive
> shelf with 4 x 9GB and single PSU, 256MB RAM, and no expansion cards.

How cheap?  These were going for $100k about 4 years ago....

> Since the system has a 400MHz Alpha system inside, can I just install my
> own boot disk and run an OS of my choice? I know it seems odd to bypass
> ONTAP but the protocol licenses (NFS, SMB, HTTP etc) are _not_
> transferrable and I don't know the administration passwords.

Nope.  These require the Netapp OS.  The good news is that you can get a OS
install floppy from Network Appliance if you ask nicely, you can also get
some basic licenses for NFS, CIFS, HTTP, FTP, etc if you ask nicely.
Network Appliance has a "hobbyist" program from home users that is usually
kept somewhat quiet.  Just find a NetApp rep in your area and explain your
situation and what you want to do.  As long as it's not in a commercial
setting, chances are you can get some goodies from him/her - as long as you
ask.

--
Kurt                 " Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to flagellate
kurt at k-huhn.com        myself with a soldering iron."