[rescue] Re: NetApp F720 question

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Wed Mar 12 01:01:59 CST 2003

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 03:53:57PM +1300, Gavin Hubbard wrote:
> Hi Lads
>
> I've got an opportunity to pick up a cheap NetApp F720 for the home lab.
> Unfortunately it has a fairly basic configuration - a single F7 drive shelf
> with 4 x 9GB and single PSU, 256MB RAM, and no expansion cards.
>
> Since the system has a 400MHz Alpha system inside, can I just install my
> own boot disk and run an OS of my choice? I know it seems odd to bypass
> ONTAP but the protocol licenses (NFS, SMB, HTTP etc) are _not_
> transferrable and I don't know the administration passwords.

If your OS supports the Netapp custom firmware, go for it. However, you
probably do not want to do this. It's not just an Alpha workstation with
Netapp OS, just like the F330 isn't just a P90 with Netapp OS.

Bug your local Netapp sales people to see if they can help you out.

Still got a pile of memory here if you still need it, btw.

Rob