[rescue] NetApp F720 question

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Tue Mar 11 20:53:57 CST 2003

Hi Lads

I've got an opportunity to pick up a cheap NetApp F720 for the home lab.
Unfortunately it has a fairly basic configuration - a single F7 drive shelf
with 4 x 9GB and single PSU, 256MB RAM, and no expansion cards.

Since the system has a 400MHz Alpha system inside, can I just install my
own boot disk and run an OS of my choice? I know it seems odd to bypass
ONTAP but the protocol licenses (NFS, SMB, HTTP etc) are _not_
transferrable and I don't know the administration passwords.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Gavin