[rescue] Sgi Indigo 2 hardware questions

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Wed Mar 12 00:04:14 CST 2003

>Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:14:26 -0600
>From: "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net>
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Sgi Indigo 2 hardware questions
>
>On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
>
>> I've found two web pages that indicate later Indigo 2's had Ultra SCSI...
>> but no details as to how to determine it, and nothing to confirm/rebuke
>> what they say.
>
>I've never seen or heard of such an option on an Indigo2.  I suppose
>that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, but it's probably quite rare.

I wish I could find someone who knew if this was true or not and how
to identify the ones with ultra scsi if they existed.

>> Are the mainboards labelled with IP22/26/28, or do you have to go by
>> the SGI ASSY # to determine this.
>
>Well, hinv will tell you.  But, to determine it from the board itself,
>you need to go by the ASSY #:

I thought the IP22/26/28 listed by hinv was representative of the processor.

>  030-8102-xxx is IP22
>  030-0659-xxx is IP26
>  030-0978-xxx is IP28
>
>> I have enough Indigo 2's that I'd like to know how many are 10000
>> capable.
>
>Well, if they have R4k CPUs or R8k CPUs in them, they're not
>R10000-capable.  It's easy to tell an IP28, though.  The heatsink on
>an R10000 is unmistakable.

I thought that the processor module could be changed, that a R10K module
could be installed into a system that had an R4K.  If I understand you
correctly, the mainboards and modules can not be interchanged.  If that
is the case, then the max upgrade within any board would be the highest
speed/highest cache size module made in that processor type ?