[rescue] Sgi Indigo 2 hardware questions

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Mar 12 00:21:02 CST 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> I thought the IP22/26/28 listed by hinv was representative of the processor.

There's a 1-to-1 mapping of processor families to mainboards in the
Indigo2.

> I thought that the processor module could be changed, that a R10K module
> could be installed into a system that had an R4K.

It'll probably physically fit, but expect the magic smoke to be let out.

> If I understand you correctly, the mainboards and modules can not be
> interchanged.

You cannot mix processor and system board families, if that's what
you're asking.

> If that is the case, then the max upgrade within any board would be
> the highest speed/highest cache size module made in that processor type ?

Right.  And, in the case of the IP22, even that is restricted by the
firmware revision.

You can, of course, remove the system board and install an IP28 in a
case that once held an IP22, but that seems rather silly, given how
cheaply whole IP28 system can be had these days.  You definitely spend
more on an R10k-ready power supply and an IP28 board than you will for a
whole IP28, especially if it's the 175MHz "Killer Impact" edition.

--
Jonathan Patschke  *)  "They're like candy for your ass."
Thorndale, TX      (*                       --Doc Shipley