[rescue] Sgi Indigo 2 hardware questions

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Mar 11 22:14:26 CST 2003

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> I've found two web pages that indicate later Indigo 2's had Ultra SCSI...
> but no details as to how to determine it, and nothing to confirm/rebuke
> what they say.

I've never seen or heard of such an option on an Indigo2.  I suppose
that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, but it's probably quite rare.

> Are the mainboards labelled with IP22/26/28, or do you have to go by
> the SGI ASSY # to determine this.

Well, hinv will tell you.  But, to determine it from the board itself,
you need to go by the ASSY #:

  030-8102-xxx is IP22
  030-0659-xxx is IP26
  030-0978-xxx is IP28

> I have enough Indigo 2's that I'd like to know how many are 10000
> capable.

Well, if they have R4k CPUs or R8k CPUs in them, they're not
R10000-capable.  It's easy to tell an IP28, though.  The heatsink on
an R10000 is unmistakable.

--
Jonathan Patschke  *)  "They're like candy for your ass."
Thorndale, TX      (*                       --Doc Shipley