[rescue] Sgi Indigo 2 hardware questions

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Tue Mar 11 21:06:18 CST 2003

Still going through this some SGI stuff...

When I tested the Indigo 2's I noticed that the 10000 w/High Impact
didn't make the startup sound... but everything else seemed fine...

I've heard that some of the later Indigo 2 systems had ultra scsi
(20MB/s narrow vs the fast scsi 10MB/s narrow).  Does anyone know how
to determine from hinv which controller this has... only thing I've
found out is WD33C93B.

When I went to start it up, it wouldn't start anymore.... upon carefull
examination, I found two fried/exploded surface mount caps on the audio
board.... pulling the system apart (I think I could have done it now without
complete dissasembly) I then removed the sound board, and found blast
marks on the bottom side too.... wonder WTF somebody did to this poor
thing.....  did they connect up a speaker AC Adpater to an audio port
by accident when hooking up powered speakers or something.. !

Does anyone know if this audio board is the same on all Indigo 2 systems
(teal and purple) ???  I'm going to dive into a Teal probably tomorrow to
look at part numbers, but if anyone knows tonight ahead of time if they
are the same, that would be cool.

If so, I have bare Teal chassis I can steal an audio board from (a 10000
High Impact is more desirable than an empty Teal system :-) ).

Also, I assume the Teal systems can take a 10000 cpu if you have the newer
power supply.  Would you also need a newer boot ROM too ?  I know also that
the newer midplane is needed for Impact graphics.  I guess this leads to
the question if Teal and Purple Indigo 2 motherboards are identical other
than possibly ROM version ???

OK, this ended up longer than I expected, so I think I'll close off now
before it gets any longer....

-- Curt

-- Curt