[rescue] Sgi Indigo 2 hardware questions

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Mar 11 21:31:08 CST 2003

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> I've heard that some of the later Indigo 2 systems had ultra scsi
> (20MB/s narrow vs the fast scsi 10MB/s narrow).  Does anyone know how
> to determine from hinv which controller this has... only thing I've
> found out is WD33C93B.

They're all fast/narrow.  I can't exactly remember, but the Challenge M
(Basically an Indigo2 with some minor hardware modifications) might have
had ultra SCSI.

> Does anyone know if this audio board is the same on all Indigo 2 systems
> (teal and purple) ???

It is.  Or, at least, they're all compatible.  There might be different
revisions, but they're interchangeable.

> Also, I assume the Teal systems can take a 10000 cpu if you have the newer
> power supply.

ONLY if the system board is an IP28.  An IP22 can only take R4xxx CPUs.
An IP26 can only take R8000 CPUs, and an IP28 can only take R10000 CPUs.

> I guess this leads to the question if Teal and Purple Indigo 2
> motherboards are identical other than possibly ROM version ???

Assuming they're based around the same CPU, yes.  Again, there were
different revisions, but they're functionally almost identical.

--
Jonathan Patschke  *)  "They're like candy for your ass."
Thorndale, TX      (*                       --Doc Shipley