[rescue] anyone ever work on imacs

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Wed Mar 5 23:40:09 CST 2003

OK... so I got this free IMAC... supposed to be 500MHz, I think DVD drive...
only problem is.... it must have been nocked off a desk... the case is rough
and the picture tube is history.

Someone has removed the bottom panel and removed the hard drive and memory.

I don't know IMacs much, but there is another slot there too with a small
connector... some board that fits in two plastic rails.... anyone know if
this is for expansion, or if I'm missing something critical....

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to open this thing to remove the picture
tube, and to disable the HV, etc of the internal monitor (my plan is to
use it with an external monitor till I can locate a dead unit/parts unit
someday (presuming this one will even work again))...  I'm having a
hell of a time figuring out how this thing comes apart !

So, anyone out there familiar with iMacs enough to know if I can disable
the internal monitor and run this on the external VGA connector ?

What is that board I am missing, or is it just some kind of expansion slot ?

What kind of DIMMS does this use... they have both been removed.

I assume this can use standard IDE drives ?

I'd like to play with MacOSX sometime, and this is the only thing with enough
horsepower to be able to possibly do it... so I'm hoping I can bring it back
to some kind of usefull life....

Thanks in advance,

  -- Curt