[rescue] SGI temps?

David Holland dholland at woh.rr.com
Sun Feb 16 09:33:20 CST 2003

On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 04:28, Gerhard Lenerz wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> > What's it in?
>
>   I assume he is talking about an Octane (because of the "MXI").

Correct.

> > In the Indigo2, at least in _my_ Indigo2, there's a fan that blows on the
> > video card stack, so it's not entirely "passive cooling" ....

I'd (in my vague non-engineering terms) consider that active.

>   Same is true for the Octane (although the airflow is handled in a
>   slightly different way).  On both systems it's essential for the
>   wellbeing of the graphics option (or system as a whole) to place it
>   so that the hot air can move freely away from the system. And it's a
>   good idea to examine it from time to time - just to see if it hasn't
>   collected too much dust.

I think the thing has sufficient space around it for decent airflow..

>From what I can tell, its the fan in the power supply that moves most of
the air in the system. Draws it in via the Air Intake on top, and blows
it out through the PS.

Perhaps its not a accurate engineering perspective, but passive cooling
has no fans blowing directly on the "hot part".. Active does.    The
Xbow chip in the front plane is 'active' by my definitions.

But thanks for everyone's input. Now I shall be going about a proper
OS installation.

David