[rescue] Solaris on a PPC

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Wed Feb 5 17:09:46 CST 2003

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 02:35:40PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 09:53 AM, Brent B. Powers wrote:
> > NT shares architecture with VMS, as they both had the same architect,
>
>    Bullshit.  "Having the same architect" is not the same as "sharing
> architecture".  If NT shared architecture with VMS, it might actually
> be a viable product.

I was under the impression that the original NT architecture was pretty
decent.  I mean, the GUI stuff sucked in every way possible (except
originally it wouldn't crash the whole machine), but the kernel was
supposed to be nice and fast, and the file system seems decent to me.
And everything else could have been replaced with nicer things (in
theory).  It's just that MS has strayed from that adding things like
graphics drivers in kernel space, and blending everything together, etc.

But, perhaps I'm wrong about the decentness of the original NT core.