[rescue] Solaris on a PPC

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Thu Feb 6 12:14:12 CST 2003

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Bjorn Ramqvist wrote:

> Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> >
> > The original platform for NT was supposed to be the i860 (its codename in
> > intelspeak was NT). But I guess the moved towards MIPS with the whole ACE
> > consortium thing. Plus the fact that the i860 was a bitch to code for.
>
> Well ok.
> Does anyone know when the whole Alpha + WinNT porting kaboodle came
> then?

I assume as soon as Alpha was released, DEC released a slew of NT only
machines with the 1st generation alphas....

> Why is NT on Alpha 32bit? Wouldn't that mean horrible performance?

Not really, It just means you are wasting some of the benefits of the
64bitness of the architecture. Other than that... the machine can deal
with 32bit code as well as 64bit nativelly (even 8bit if you were so
inclined :-) ).