[rescue] Solaris on a PPC

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Feb 5 17:15:04 CST 2003

On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 06:09 PM, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> I was under the impression that the original NT architecture was pretty
> decent.  I mean, the GUI stuff sucked in every way possible (except
> originally it wouldn't crash the whole machine), but the kernel was
> supposed to be nice and fast, and the file system seems decent to me.
> And everything else could have been replaced with nicer things (in
> theory).  It's just that MS has strayed from that adding things like
> graphics drivers in kernel space, and blending everything together,
> etc.
>
> But, perhaps I'm wrong about the decentness of the original NT core.

   Perhaps.  Mike, the guy who's crashing in my spare room, has an NT
box with a 1GHz processor and something like 512MB of RAM.  Running an
MP3 player and a copy of IE, it swaps itself senseless and runs so
slowly that it visibly stutters while updating the display when he
opens up another IE window.

   There's nothing decent about this.  Nothing at all.  I can throw a
CG6 in a ten-plus-year-old SPARCstation-2 and get better performance.

       -Dave