[rescue] Solaris on a PPC

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Feb 5 14:45:56 CST 2003

On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 02:58 PM, Francisco Javier
Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> Actually the original NT project shared a lot of the VMS ideas (well at
> least mid/late 80s VMS). But it was rather changed by the rest of M$,
> so
> the original NT and the shipped NT were rather different (the original
> DEC
> guy was none too pleased about this). In fact initially NT was just a
> technology demonstrator, nothing to do with a shipping product. Then it
> came OS2 NT, and then Windows NT (funny how its first release was at
> 3.0!)
>
> The original platform for NT was supposed to be the i860 (its codename
> in
> intelspeak was NT). But I guess the moved towards MIPS with the whole
> ACE
> consortium thing. Plus the fact that the i860 was a bitch to code for.

   That's cool and all, and there were a few things in there that I
hadn't heard (the i860 part, in particular, surprised me), but weren't
we discussing NT as it exists today?  VMS was very different before it
was released too.  As was UNIX.  As was pretty much everything else.

> Personally I think that the whole M$ cartel should be tried in a
> setting
> ala Nuremberg for crimes against computation... and for setting the
> whole
> industry back 10 years.

   Agreed.

      -Dave