[rescue] Solaris on a PPC

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Wed Feb 5 13:58:52 CST 2003

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 09:53 AM, Brent B. Powers wrote:
> > NT shares architecture with VMS, as they both had the same architect,
>
>    Bullshit.  "Having the same architect" is not the same as "sharing
> architecture".  If NT shared architecture with VMS, it might actually
> be a viable product.

Actually the original NT project shared a lot of the VMS ideas (well at
least mid/late 80s VMS). But it was rather changed by the rest of M$, so
the original NT and the shipped NT were rather different (the original DEC
guy was none too pleased about this). In fact initially NT was just a
technology demonstrator, nothing to do with a shipping product. Then it
came OS2 NT, and then Windows NT (funny how its first release was at 3.0!)

The original platform for NT was supposed to be the i860 (its codename in
intelspeak was NT). But I guess the moved towards MIPS with the whole ACE
consortium thing. Plus the fact that the i860 was a bitch to code for.

Personally I think that the whole M$ cartel should be tried in a setting
ala Nuremberg for crimes against computation... and for setting the whole
industry back 10 years.