[rescue] Ultrix or What to do with a VAX 4000/300 DSSI

Bjorn Ramqvist v53278 at g.haggve.se
Wed Feb 5 07:43:06 CST 2003

David A de Gruyl wrote:

> So, I am curious whether anyone knows how to obtain a version of Ultrix
> which might work on this machine.  What I am hoping is that I do not
> have to move the rack / enclosure up my three flights of stairs.
> Additionally, this rack has the tape drives (large reel and compact), so
> a network installation of Ultrix would be desireable.

Sorry, Ultrix does not support the VAX-architecture in that machine. I
believe Ultrix development seased before it ever got ported to that
architecture.
The VAX6000-600 series shares the same problem, and from what I know,
shares the same(?) VAX-architecture.

I'd say, inject NetBSD on the beast, if you can find yourself a
supported harddisk controller that is...

/Bjorn