[rescue] SGI Indy Processor Question

ansalmo at dsl.pipex.com ansalmo at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Feb 4 02:25:28 CST 2003

> Even though I haven't gotten my first Indy up and running, I just
> got another Indy.  This one with keyboard, mouse, monitor, 150MHZ
> R5K, two 4 gig drives (one external), and a new unopened XZ graphics
> board... all for $75.00.
>
> So, now I'll have sort of an Inday and a half (till I can complete
> the 2nd one).
>
> I know I probably won't keep both, as I also have an Indogo 2 on the
> way, so I have a question on what is better to keep...
>
> an R4400 175MHz or an R5000 150MHz (512K cache) ?

See Ian Mapleson's excellent Indy information pages at:

  http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/indy/

and his performance reviews here:

  http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/perfcomp.html

The R5000/150SC should generally outperform the R4400/175, especially in
floating point intensive operations (you may need to extrapolate some of his
benchmarks based on scores from the 5000/150PC, 5000/180SC and R4400/200).

Note though, that the XZ graphics board you've got is better paired with the
R4400 - the R5K is better off with an XL24.  Ian's pages will explain why....
:-)