[rescue] The infamous missing CD...

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Fri Aug 29 19:35:58 CDT 2003

On Friday, August 29, 2003, at 12:40 PM, Earl D. Baugh Jr. wrote:

> > >I am NOT looking for the SOFTWARE COMPANION, I am looking for
> > >the SOFTWARE SUPPLEMENT (for 8/03).   According to your install
> > >program THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING.

Dude.  This heavy a hand is _NOT_ necessary with Sun.  I've dealt with
them on a number of occasions for several different issues including
free and replacement CDs and they've always been nothing but polite.

> Oh, they're considering "adding" it?  Well that doesn't help
> much...esp since there were packages I'd like to use...and before
> anybody says "why are
> you so upset, they've made it a free download......I'm upset because
> if they're going to decide to offer the software for free download,
> they should be able
> to MAKE IT USABLE or DOCUMENT WHAT IS MISSING AND WHAT TO IGNORE, or
> PRODUCE A DIFFERENT INSTALL PROGRAM THAT'S NOT GOING TO ASK FOR IT.
> If they don't want to do this, fine, make it only available for $$.
> That's fine.  But don't make it "seem" to be all there, make it
> confusing for users who download it as almost a "bait and switch" type
> of set up.  Anyway, I asked:

So even though it's a "free download" you're whining about the stuff
they didn't include.  Like the stuff they actually have to support
their company with.  Like all the bells and whistles.  While I can see
your point about the documentation you're still being a greedy whiney
dick.  Stop it - you're making Solaris geeks look bad.

> >Well, then how do I get the packages that are on this CD??
> >I.e. Java 3d, Open GL, etc...I also have a Sun Video capture board
> which
> >uses the Show Me software...so, I'm just out of luck??

I'm betting that you could most likely use an older version of the
software or a third party to support the Sun Video.  If not then I'm
betting you got the card for free or used.  If you had paid for it
you'd be able to probably get the software package out of them for free
or cost of media if you asked nicely.

If not then look around for a Linux package that will run under Solaris
binary emulation.  Those are "our" choices for used hardware - we live
with them so can you.

> So, I sent off my last mail to them which said in part:

<snip complaining that a company actually makes money and general
ranting>

You really need to take a step back and look at this.  You're being an
idiot and asking for cake from the bakery when you have no money.  Or
in this case a used cakeplate.

Mike Hebel