[rescue] The infamous missing CD...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 29 18:38:25 CDT 2003

--- Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> You know, I've *never* installed the "extra stuff".  I've never
> needed more than Software 1 of 2 and Software 2 of 2 to do a
> fully functional Solaris installation.  You *can* say "exit"
> instead of installing the documentation and other stuff.

Yeah - I've installed dozens of Solaris 8 and 9 images on personal
machines (read "reinstalled" ;^), and never been prompted for "other"
discs... What installation options did you choose?

The Sun website is, in my opinion, quite clear that the free download
images are not the *complete* suite of software that comprise "Solaris
Operating Environment" - they are the main functional components...

Demanding the rest of the environment is, IMHO, inconsiderate - my
advice is to be thankful for what they give you.

To ask them for more free software (when they never said they would
give it to you), and accusing them of "Bait and switch" tactics is not
the way to get what you want - in my opinion.

You have to consider (and I don't know if this applies here), that it
is possible that some of these other, "missing" CDs may contain
software that Sun licensed from third-parties, and they may have to pay
a certain per-unit royalty to those third parties. The software on the
"installation" and 1 and 2 of 2 Software CDs is, most likley, 100% Sun
owned.

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall