[rescue] PArdon me, but it does work.

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Aug 21 16:31:37 CDT 2003

Pardon me guys, but I have windows ME on my wife's box because it does
work. It works far better than windows 98 does on my sons' boxen,
and it works far better than dead rat linux 6 and 7's NFS client which
never stayed up for more than a week and often less.

Of course, I kept up with the latest patches as they were available,
use Mcafee antivirus and adaware to keep them clean and have a fair
amount of windows knowledge to keep them going.

While I would prefer that everyone here had "real" computers, there simply
aren't enough used Sun or SGI or DEC boxes to go around. So if I want
a computer, it has to be a PC.

My wife and younger children use windows boxes at school and work, and they
are not computer geeks, and are not willing to learn another system
at home.

On the brighter side of things, the print server, web router, MP3 library,
and autobackup machine runs linux. Among other things it does a daily backup
of their outlook express main and documents directories. So the "backup fairy"
only has to visit every month or so.

The last 2 sun boxes I got where gifts sent back in my wife's luggage
when she went to the states to attend funerals. One was an SS2, and the
other my beloved tadpole 3gx.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com 972-54-608-069