[rescue] Re: SGI Onyx4 - uses ATI graphics chips (sigh)

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Aug 21 18:56:22 CDT 2003

"From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at yahoo.com>
"
"--- Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us> wrote:
"
"> i don't understand why the film industry would care - i'm not sure
"> it's possible to distinguish more than 30 bits of color resolution,
"> maybe even 24.
">
"> now scientific image processing might well make use of subtle image
"> details the human eye could not resolve.
"
"That last statement really stood out when I read it - if "the human eye
"could not resolve" it, then what is the point of imaging?

i was thinking of such things as ir aerial plant/soil fertility
photography, where the color of the image carries a lot of
information about the fields thus surveyed.

"Storing increased data/color-depth for non-visual analysis, sure, I'm
"right there with you, but Imaging is, by nature, visual - right?

yes and no.  it's also a way of registering optical-spectrum data,
when you want to correlate spectral data in a 3-dimensional form.

ultimately, the objective is presentation to the human eye, but there
can be steps the human eye is not capable of seeing.