[rescue] poor college students at prestigious institutions

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 07:12:07 CDT 2003

--- "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:

> College IT infrastructure is woefully underfunded almost universally.
> MIT, for example, still doesn't have 100Mbit Ethernet[0] everywhere,
> and at least two of their dorms still use -hubs-.  Ever seen the
> number of collisions that a dorm full of Internet-hungry college
> can generate?
> It's truly scary.

Well, that's easy to fix - they simply tack on ANOTHER silly $10 fee to
each incoming student to pay for IT infrastructure improvements...

When I was in college, we were lucky to have adequate POWER to have
computers in each dorm room (Stevens Institute of Technology, freshman
year, 1983) - they ran some huge wire down the hall (like 1 guage or
something, the copper was about as thick as a #2 pencil)...

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall