[rescue] Gigabit Ethernet (Copper) Switch Advice SOught

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Aug 21 00:39:20 CDT 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Joshua Snyder wrote:

> machines had plenty of ram... To get this back on topic, Suns seem to be
> slowly disappearing from the campus but I have yet to see any Ultra Sparc
> stuff at salvage.  I would love to know where those machines are ending
> up... anyone know?

Probably upgrading tired old boxes behind the scenes.  I have it on good
authority that Rice replaced its last Sun 3/xxx system in IT while I was
a student there, and they replaced it with a machine from one of the
engineering labs.

College IT infrastructure is woefully underfunded almost universally.
MIT, for example, still doesn't have 100Mbit Ethernet[0] everywhere, and
at least two of their dorms still use -hubs-.  Ever seen the number of
collisions that a dorm full of Internet-hungry college can generate?
It's truly scary.

[0] As opposed to 10baseT, not FDDI or something.
--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "We're Texans.  We figure out ways to do these
Elgin, TX          (    things..."                    --Bill Bradford