[rescue] Gigabit Ethernet (Copper) Switch Advice SOught

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Wed Aug 20 16:06:09 CDT 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Bjorn Ramqvist wrote:

> Robert Novak wrote:
> >
> > I ran 10.2.4 on my g3 266 desktop, 256-512mb ram, 4-80gb disk. It was
> > usable. I wanted an upgrade, but didn't need it.
>
> Perhaps we don't share the same view of "usable speed" in computers?
> Sure it was useable by yesterdays standards, but certainly not for me in
> todays standards.

It's entirely possible. But if you refer to "todays standards" it sounds
like marketing Kool-Aid(tm) to me.

> > If you want a quad opteron with 32gb of ram, get that, not a mac.
>
> That would be a big powerhouse that would suck too much power and would
> be too noisy to use anyway. And what would I do with it? Play games and
> surf the web? No thanks. I'll let my laptop or PC at home do that job
> very nicely.

My suspicion is that even a dual Opteron could be manageable in power and
sound. Sure, it wouldn't be as quiet as an iPaq, but it probably would
be better than an SS1k.

And what would you do with any computer? Probably nothing. Basically if
you have requirements that can be met by a g3 mac, you probably know it
already. If you don't, then you shouldn't bother. Same goes for any
platform or OS or software product.

> > > Good thing someone bought my iMac before I trashed it.
> >
> > Odd that you'd do that if you've ever run graphics on a non-ultra Sun.
>
> Who said I have?

Have you? If I gave you too much benefit of doubt for experience, I am
truly and humbly sorry. :)

> Only (*NIX) graphics I really enjoy is Impact (and newer) on SGI.

No noisy power hogs there, right? :)

Rob

Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com