[rescue] Gigabit Ethernet (Copper) Switch Advice SOught

Bjorn Ramqvist v53278 at g.haggve.se
Wed Aug 20 15:48:30 CDT 2003

Robert Novak wrote:

> I ran 10.2.4 on my g3 266 desktop, 256-512mb ram, 4-80gb disk. It was
> usable. I wanted an upgrade, but didn't need it.

Perhaps we don't share the same view of "usable speed" in computers?
Sure it was useable by yesterdays standards, but certainly not for me in
todays standards.

> If you want a quad opteron with 32gb of ram, get that, not a mac.

That would be a big powerhouse that would suck too much power and would
be too noisy to use anyway. And what would I do with it? Play games and
surf the web? No thanks. I'll let my laptop or PC at home do that job
very nicely.

> Rob (who still wants to see the g5 stuff put up against an Opteron system
> of similar cost).

The G5 seems most impressive.
Don't misunderstand me - I would probably have loved OSX on G5 (like
everybody else).

> > Good thing someone bought my iMac before I trashed it.
>
> Odd that you'd do that if you've ever run graphics on a non-ultra Sun.

Who said I have?
Only (*NIX) graphics I really enjoy is Impact (and newer) on SGI.

/Bjorn