[rescue] OS X

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Sat Aug 23 01:52:46 CDT 2003

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 09:50 PM, Shannon wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 09:06:19PM -0700, N. Miller wrote:
>
>> One thing I noted recently, as I've been testing some stuff
>> I have to sell to see how it works under OS X.  10.2 seems
>> very slow to reconfigure after removing hardware (e.g. PCI
>> scsi or other cards).  I don't know if it's because I removed
>> more than one card at a time, or what.  I thought I had hosed
>> up the HD, since I didn't get the spinning dial, and booted
>> off CD to check.  HD was OK.  Booted again, and this time was
>> *patient*.  Now, when it reboots, it's back to normal.
>
> Hmmm... the Apple systems build a tree in their OpenFirmware
> describing all the devices, and its just nothing like how
> a PC works.
>
> I wonder if some change in 10.2 is causing this to proceed slower...
> not
> the firmware, but the OS getting the changed information.

I couldn't say for sure, but since OF is like OF on Suns (all
using the same spec, right?), that would explain the similarity.
I would presume that the Mac does a boot -r whenever it notes
significant hardware changes--just as an Enterprise Sun will
do when you take out an I/O or CPU card.

I didn't do this kind of testing under 10.1, so I have no
comparison in that regard.  I just wish there was some way
to get the post/diags stuff to show up on the Mac's console
so I didn't have to wonder if it was "working" or not--anyone
know if there's a trick to getting it to do that?

I know about getting the console messages to show up, but I
don't think that starts until after bootstrapping.

=Nadine=