FDDI, was: Re: [rescue] u2 drive trays

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Aug 20 04:50:09 CDT 2003

On 2003.08.19 23:04 Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> > I really need to tie FDDI and FastE together, and it would be nicest
> > if they were on the same subnet.
>
> In that case, you don't even need IPFilter.  You just need an OS that
> understands segment bridging.  Linux will do that, as will the BSDs.
>From the NetBSD 1.6U bridge(4):

DESCRIPTION
     The bridge driver creates a logical link between two or more IEEE
802
     networks that use the same (or ``similar enough'') framing format.
For
     example, it is possible to bridge Ethernet and 802.11 networks
together,
     but it is not possible to bridge Ethernet and Token Ring together.
[...]
BUGS
     The bridge driver currently supports only Ethernet and
Ethernet-like
     (e.g. 802.11) network devices, with exactly the same interface MTU
size
     as the bridge device.

If you can live with 10BaseT on the Ethernet side the Cabletron ESX-1320
is a neat 12 port 10BaseT switch with an optional FDDI uplink module
(BRIM-F6). I have two of them and they "Just Work" (C) (R) (TM).
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen