FDDI, was: Re: [rescue] u2 drive trays

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Aug 19 16:04:02 CDT 2003

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> Shouldn't IPFilter running on a U1 with a HME card, a SunFDDI card (the
> current kind) be able to handle the task?

Sure, but packets don't route from FDDI to Ethernet on my network.  The
networks are completely separate and parallel.  The FDDI only exists to
make my NFS mounts go ZOOOOOM!

> I really need to tie FDDI and FastE together, and it would be nicest
> if they were on the same subnet.

In that case, you don't even need IPFilter.  You just need an OS that
understands segment bridging.  Linux will do that, as will the BSDs.
Solaris, however, will not, or, if it does, it is very new
functionality, as 7 wouldn't do it.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "We're Texans.  We figure out ways to do these
Elgin, TX          (    things..."                    --Bill Bradford