FDDI, was: Re: [rescue] u2 drive trays

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Aug 20 05:03:14 CDT 2003

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 23:04, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > Shouldn't IPFilter running on a U1 with a HME card, a SunFDDI card (the
> > current kind) be able to handle the task?
>
> Sure, but packets don't route from FDDI to Ethernet on my network.  The
> networks are completely separate and parallel.  The FDDI only exists to
> make my NFS mounts go ZOOOOOM!

Please don't talk me about slow nfs speeds. I just put up a small
pentium-based [1] server to fulfill that purpose, I can't believe how grmbl
grmbl damd slow that thing is. I just discovered the disk controllers don't
even support dma, so that's one more box that'll end up as a diskless desktop
or router...

I think I'll use my new ultra5 as a file server once I have time to figure
that out... Is anyone using an ultra5 as a file server? Fddi doesn't seem to
be an option right now, I still have a bunch of ethernet stuff (switch plus a
few nic's) that I paid good money for...

[1] I could get a few of those for free.

--
Frank Van Damme    http://www.openstandaarden.be