FDDI, was: Re: [rescue] u2 drive trays

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Aug 20 08:27:26 CDT 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Frank Van Damme wrote:

> Please don't talk me about slow nfs speeds. I just put up a small
> pentium-based [1] server to fulfill that purpose, I can't believe how grmbl
> grmbl damd slow that thing is. I just discovered the disk controllers don't
> even support dma, so that's one more box that'll end up as a diskless desktop
> or router...

Be mindful of the OS, too.  Unless Linux's NFS server has improved in
the last two years or so, you'll get -much- better performance out of
SMB than you will out of NFS on Linux.  Also, I've seen occasionally
renegotiation problems between older versions of Solaris and IRIX.
Solaris 9 takes just perfectly to IRIX 6.5, though.

> I think I'll use my new ultra5 as a file server once I have time to figure
> that out...

Those will work out quite well.  Just be prepared to get frustrated
about where Sun stuffs the Solaris equivalent of '/etc/exports'.  It's
'/etc/dfs/dfstab', I think.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "We're Texans.  We figure out ways to do these
Elgin, TX          (    things..."                    --Bill Bradford