[rescue] Total corporate madness (

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Mon Aug 4 12:06:53 CDT 2003

> > Serial ata is still ata? It was not supposed to be scsi.
>
>    As I understand it, serial ATA implements most of the SCSI command
> set over a high-speed serial link.
>
>    ...which makes me wonder...why not just use FC-AL?  It implements the
> SCSI command set over a high-speed serial link.  Sound familiar? ;)
> And FC-AL is standardized, chipsets area already out there, it's
> scalable to VERY high speeds, etc.

The manufacturers probably didn't go FC-AL because they don't control
the specs.

What boggles the mind about SATA is they took one of IDE's limitations
and made it worse.  I'm talking about drives/controller.  IDE has the
limit of two drives/controller.  With SATA, there's one drive/controller.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net