[rescue] Total corporate madness (

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Aug 4 11:57:22 CDT 2003

On Sunday, August 3, 2003, at 04:57 AM, Frank Van Damme wrote:
>> Personally, I wish IDE and USB had never happened, and we used nothing
>> but SCSI and FireWire, or something better.
>>
>> I kept hoping that serial ATA was where they would finally do
>> something
>> better. Sigh...
>
> Serial ata is still ata? It was not supposed to be scsi.

   As I understand it, serial ATA implements most of the SCSI command
set over a high-speed serial link.

   ...which makes me wonder...why not just use FC-AL?  It implements the
SCSI command set over a high-speed serial link.  Sound familiar? ;)
And FC-AL is standardized, chipsets area already out there, it's
scalable to VERY high speeds, etc.

>  It's better then ide
> for sure, but reonventing scsi wouldn't have had a point I think.
> Serial ata
> still doesn't have command scheduling on the drive, or the ability to
> send
> multiple commands at a time like scsi (afaik), but at least they got
> rid of
> the short cables, the master-slave stuff etc.

   I think their point was to have "ATA" in the name and be able to say
"it's not SCSI" because the PeeCee weenies are being trained that SCSI
is somehow bad because it's more expensive than ATA
gigabyte-for-gigabyte.

> Besides, as far as I am aware, the next thing to come about is serial
> scsi.
> This might actually be interesting.

   Read about FC-AL, aka FibreChannel.  That's essentially what it is.
It works, it's SCREAMING fast, it's standardized, it's supported, and
it's readily available.

            -Dave