[rescue] Total corporate madness (

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Mon Aug 4 12:10:12 CDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 12:06:53PM -0500, Eric Dittman wrote:
> The manufacturers probably didn't go FC-AL because they don't control
> the specs.

FCAL is more flexible; when using fiber, you can go out to 10
kilometres or more, allowing you to replicate data in real time,etc.
This no doubt added complexity to the design of the spec and thus
increased the cost in some way of the controllers.

> What boggles the mind about SATA is they took one of IDE's limitations
> and made it worse.  I'm talking about drives/controller.  IDE has the
> limit of two drives/controller.  With SATA, there's one drive/controller.

Actually it is an improvement.  This means you get the full SATA
bandwidth to each drive; and the CDROM will no longer slow down the
disk transfers.  Having 4 or more controllers on board in each system
means you can instantly do 3-drive software RAID.

--Patrick