[rescue] Looking to dump old Centronics printer

Shirker shirker at mooli.org.uk
Sun Apr 27 14:22:17 CDT 2003

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Also, I am looking at my HP LaserJet 4M critically, every second/third
> page gets stuck as it exits the printer (fanfolds the last 1-2" as it
> exits, has to be pulled out manually) - I hope this is paper/humidity
> related, but not sure...

Mine does this, too. You might find a search for "laserjet 4 exit jam
repair kit" on eBay enlightening.[1]

Apparently it's the rubber rollers perishing.

I haven't got round to getting the kit and installing it, but I shall do
soon because it's starting to do it every page, and it's annoying.

Incidentally, why is HP's re-flashing software for the JetDirect cards
so needlessly retarded? Why can't I flash the thing through the parallel
port, for pity's sake? And why is the "Ethernet hardware address"
textfield for the printer to flash greyed out? I can't flash the card
through TCP/IP when its TCP/IP *won't work* due to incomplete firmware
image, really, now can I?

Ed.

[1] At least, I think these are the right search terms. I would check,
but I'm busy trying to fix my laptop (Compaq Armada 7750MT) - the fan's
failed, but the actual fan itself is fine (take it out and checked it)
so something's amiss either in the PSU, or between it and the fan.
Otherwise the machine runs fine. Any ideas anyone?

--
I remember why I started becoming less tolerant, and I think I should strive
to become less tolerant in future. - RobA