[rescue] OpenBSD on Intel (actually)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sun Apr 27 12:46:17 CDT 2003

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote ...
> On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> > Given that it's been a week, that I no longer need the machine
> > for the use originally envisioned, and that its parts are useful
> > elsewhere, I've given up on this project.
>
> You'll be happy to learn that the Dell is certified to run certain
> versions of Solaris/x86. ;)

Yeah, I saw that somewhere, when I was scouring the Web for information on
the box.

And, frankly, I don't give a rat sandwich.

I've got 3 or 4 pukka SPARCs sitting on a shelf, waiting for me to think up
something for them to do.  I like Solaris, I like SPARCs, Sun's Solaris
works well on Sun's SPARCs, so the course of action seems obvious if I want
more Unix horsepower around here.

I was using the Dell only because it had PCI slots; I could put USB ports on
it for the WiFi thingy.  I don't need to do that, now, so to hell with it.

Installing OpenBSD was rather cool, and, once installed, it ran fine when
the machine deigned to boot.  I'll give it another try some other time, on
some other machine.

-Shel