[rescue] OpenBSD on Intel (actually)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sun Apr 27 11:58:23 CDT 2003

Andrew Weiss wrote ...

> What model did you say this unit was?

Dell Optiplex DGX 5100

> P.S. run setup program means to enter the bios... only Compaqs store
> that on a floppy or a special hard drive... unless this machine has
> EISA slots.

Well, it has both EISA and PCI slots, as well as built-in IDE and
non-booting SCSI controllers.  I cannot find a setup program for it on the
Dell website, though.  Lots of other stuff, but no setup program.

> Chances are your bios is locked out and configured not to
> display how to get into it at first boot.  Did you hit escape when the
> splash screen comes up (if there is one)

I've hit every key you can imagine.  Some with considerable force.

Evidently, however, timing is critical.  _Exactly_once_ in all my flailings,
F2 got me into the BIOS.  This was last night, and it was a big let-down;
there's hardly anything of use there.  Conspicuous in its absence was any
way of turning off plug-and-play or anything else haveing to do with the
slots.

Given that it's been a week, that I no longer need the machine for the use
originally envisioned, and that its parts are useful elsewhere, I've given
up on this project.  I've already put 64 MB of its RAM in my Indigo^2 and
reformatted the HD.  It will return to its former role as a spare W98 box.

Thanks, all, for the help.

-Shel