[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Mon Apr 21 15:33:55 CDT 2003

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
>
> > Not really, you actually payed for the components to make the house, so
> > yes the house is your creation. When using GCC, you are using free
> > software with its own unique licensing.
>
> Using GCC to compile software is different from using it -in- your
> software.  The GPL only applies to the GCC source code, not to your own,
> and not to the object files it produces.

I was not refering to the use of GCC to compile your source code, but
rather those cases in which you link to a bunch of gnu libraries and some
such, someone could put certain interesting caveats on the licensing of
those libraries. Then your object code is also including other people's object
code..... which is thus including other people's source code (in compiled
form though....)

There is where things start to get interesting IMHO. I am not saying that
your program is not your own or anything like that... just pointing out
that the examples/counterexamples given by some of the previous posters
were not quite correct.