[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Apr 23 11:09:50 CDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 12:52:01PM -0700, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> > Not to a logical human.
>
> Define logical :)....

Look it up in the dictionary.

> > If I use a Craftsman hammer to build a house, its likely I used
> > Craftsman nails, saws, and screwdrivers too.  The house is still my own
> > creation!
>
> Not really, you actually payed for the components to make the house, so
> yes the house is your creation.

OK, what if the tools were given to me for free, or I borrowed them?

It's still my creation, regardless of where the tools came from.

> When using GCC, you are using free
> software with its own unique licensing. That is where things get blurry,
> your example would be a correct one if you were using donated/free tools
> and materials from Home Depot or somesuch. What if home depot were to put
> some kind of licensing in those "free" materiasl? :)

My example is correct regardless of what GNU or its GPL says.

My creations are my creations.  I don't really care what kind of spin
doctoring they do.

#!/bin/sh
echo "hello world..."

The above script represents a tiny fraction of what was needed to run
it, and requires (on this system) GNU, BSD, and probably other code
to run.

It's still 100% mine.