[rescue] Request for recomendation [was: Why is everyone so OSX happy?]

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Sun Apr 13 15:41:23 CDT 2003

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 11:18:02 -0500, "Jonathan C. Patschke"
<jp at celestrion.net> said:

> With two well-conditioned batteries, I regularly get 7 hours under OS X,
> if I have the AirPort turned off and disc activity kept to a minimum.
> This for fairly cpu-easy tasks like text-editing in vi, though.  YMMV by
> how much strain you're putting on the CPU, of course.

You're doing a lot better than most people, or at least better than the
squeaky wheels on the boards. ;-)

> > But the Pismo is a boat anchor (~7lbs) compared to iBook or G4.
>
> Aw, hell.  It's not -that- bad.

Well, I am one of those lug it around everywhere kind of folks.  That's
why I bought a Fujitsu P-1000 series--2.8 lbs with 6+ hrs. of battery
life (extended batt).  It's Transmeta-based.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Pismo (I mean really, a 3+ y.o. platform
keeping up with modern OSs?  Try that with any x86 box w/out swapping
out the mobo & CPU. :-).  But, it's just *too* big.  If I'd had *any*
inkling that Apple was coming out with the 12" G4, I would not have
bought
the Fujitsu.

=Nadine=
--