[rescue] Request for recomendation [was: Why is everyone so OSX happy?]

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sun Apr 13 16:29:54 CDT 2003

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 12:41:23PM -0800, N. Miller wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 11:18:02 -0500, "Jonathan C. Patschke"
> <jp at celestrion.net> said:
>
> > With two well-conditioned batteries, I regularly get 7 hours under OS X,
>
> You're doing a lot better than most people, or at least better than the
> squeaky wheels on the boards. ;-)

I got 4 hours or so on my iBook 700, running Office under OSX.

> > > But the Pismo is a boat anchor (~7lbs) compared to iBook or G4.
> > Aw, hell.  It's not -that- bad.
> Well, I am one of those lug it around everywhere kind of folks.  That's
> why I bought a Fujitsu P-1000 series--2.8 lbs with 6+ hrs. of battery
> life (extended batt).  It's Transmeta-based.

Compared to the Crusoe critters, your average Sunday newspaper is a
boat anchor. But the current iBook is 5 pounds (12") or 6 pounds (14") so
they're pretty close to a 7 pound notebook.

Of course I'm comfortable with my 8+ pound Inspiron, so go figure. I
played with a Lifebook Crusoe for a few minutes and realized my fingernails
were too long to use the keyboard, and the monitor was too small.

> Don't get me wrong, I love the Pismo (I mean really, a 3+ y.o. platform
> keeping up with modern OSs?  Try that with any x86 box w/out swapping

I think the 3 year old Latitude P3 notebooks are still viable.
Maybe I'll take the dare and run W2k3 on my Inspiron 7000 when
I get more memory for it.

--Rob