[rescue] ide vs scsi

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sat Apr 12 21:46:41 CDT 2003

On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 09:22:17PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 09:29:13PM -0400, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> > But being on the recovery side of a year and a half of unemployment,
> > I've got SCSI tastes on an IDE budget right now.
>
> Exactly.  *THIS* is why I use IDE - I can throw an 80G disk in the
> machine that serves these lists and web pages for less than $100 nowdays -
> while doing it SCSI would require 2 drives and a PCI SCSI controller.

You *can* get SCSI and IDE capacity (i.e. same number of bytes)
for the same price, with a bit of looking, but the SCSI has a
lower density at lower prices--so it can require more electrical power, desk
space/rack space, enclosure space, cabling, and of course
controllers if you don't already have them.

I've seen 60GB IDE for $65 or so, and I've seen 9GB SCA WSCSI for $10,
both with 90 day warranty. So I could get pretty good performance
from 7 of the 9gb disks, but that's a foot of disk vs. an inch of it.

> I could use more RAM, though... (anybody got U5/10 RAM for cheap?)

Yep. Do you still have the quotes I pasted to ya?

Rob