[rescue] ide vs scsi

biscjohn at locutus.isu.edu biscjohn at locutus.isu.edu
Mon Apr 14 10:51:13 CDT 2003

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 09:29:13PM -0400, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> > But being on the recovery side of a year and a half of unemployment,
> > I've got SCSI tastes on an IDE budget right now.
>
> Exactly.  *THIS* is why I use IDE - I can throw an 80G disk in the
> machine that serves these lists and web pages for less than $100 nowdays -
> while doing it SCSI would require 2 drives and a PCI SCSI controller.

Two drives, maybe.  Why would you need a interface-specific SCSI
controller?  Why can't a good old AHA-1542 do?  This is the reason I love
the hell out of SCSI, especially for rescue purposes: with very few
notable exceptions, a SCSI device "off the shelves" today is compatible
with SCSI controllers of a decade (or longer) ago:  all you have to do is
some cable-fu to get the device actually hooked up and watch for that
godawful differential SCSI snafu of '95-ish.  Compare this to IDE, where a
1995 IDE-based machine means that LBA may or may not be an option and
forget the new UDMA devices on a rescue IDE chain.  Unless you can get the
1024-cylinder boot partition magic done right, you have a nice, cheap,
boatanchor with new IDE devices on old IDE machines.