[rescue] Why is everyone so OSX happy?

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Fri Apr 11 17:12:07 CDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 06:08:25AM -0500, Kevin wrote:
> I run SCSI in all my boxen and will continue to do so until
> IDE is replaced with something better.  IDE is fine for a lot
> of uses, for instance when your storage needs exceed your
> need for speed, as in Bill's case, but if i have my choice
> i'll stick with SCSI.

No laptop then? Even Dave hasn't migrated to SCSI on his laptop,
from what I read, and for him IDE is worse than punch cards.

> The G4 had a 40 gig WD IDE drive, and then the dumpster had a
> 40 gig WD IDE drive.

That's just stupid. You could at least sell the drive, or donate
it to a nonprofit who could put it to good use.

> Also, i tend to believe, although i have no hard data that
> proves this, that SCSI drives fail less frequently than IDE
> drives.

Unlikely. I can say authoritatively that I've had more SCSI
drives fail than IDE drives. And more FC than both SCSI and
IDE combined. Going by some logic presented today, that means
that FC and SCSI are both utter trash--I know better. I just
have used more FC than SCSI and more SCSI than IDE in corporate
environments.

How's that bridge working out for ya?

--Rob