[rescue] Why is everyone so OSX happy?

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Fri Apr 11 06:08:25 CDT 2003

I run SCSI in all my boxen and will continue to do so until
IDE is replaced with something better.  IDE is fine for a lot
of uses, for instance when your storage needs exceed your
need for speed, as in Bill's case, but if i have my choice
i'll stick with SCSI.

The G4 had a 40 gig WD IDE drive, and then the dumpster had a
40 gig WD IDE drive.  Now it's all 320 scsi all the
way (actually the 320 part is over kill, with the G4 current
PCI bus 160 would have been fine, but i already had the
hardware).

Also, i tend to believe, although i have no hard data that
proves this, that SCSI drives fail less frequently than IDE
drives.  I'm not saying SCSI drives never fail, point in fact
i had two SCSI IBM drives fail in a RAID 5 array last week,
but all in all i have seen more IDE drives with issues than i
have with SCSI.

/KRM

keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/