[rescue] Anyone here familiar with 10Base36 ?!?

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Sat Sep 21 15:59:00 CDT 2002

[ On Saturday, September 21, 2002 at 16:32:59 (-0400), Dave McGuire wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Anyone here familiar with 10Base36 ?!?
>
>    That's the way it's usually run underground.  That conduit is
> intended for burial; I've seen miles of it going in alongside the
> streets in Maryland.

Ah, I wasn't sure if that was the same stuff, but yes indeed some of the
various fibre suppliers around here have buried multiple such conduits
in a poured concrete conduit (I think I remember seeing over a dozen
spools of different coloured pipe heading into a trench once recently on
Yonge St. in the north end of Toronto)

I've always wondered though how they get the cable into the tubes
afterwards.  Even compressed air seems inadequate to "pull" any length
of anything of any weight, and any decent length of nylon twine will
have quite a bit of stretch to it, perhaps too much to make it useful
too?

The sheathed cable is used though in the sewer installations that were
done up until recently by Stream up here in Toronto. (They've since
tanked and Videotron who took some of their other assets didn't seem to
want to keep building the fibre plants, and I'm not sure who got the
rights to use the installation robot since, though there was a rumour
that one of the original "visionaries" was going to try to regain them
-- supposedly the robot rights are only leased.)

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>