[rescue] Anyone here familiar with 10Base36 ?!?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Sep 21 15:32:59 CDT 2002

On Saturday, September 21, 2002, at 04:15 PM, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>>> Except that most fibre cable for outdoor use has a metal jacket....
>>> :-)
>>
>>    I use "ordinary" fiber and put it in a liqui-tite conduit or
>> something similar.
>
> That's a good idea -- though I don't know about going several
> kilometers
> that way.....

   That's the way it's usually run underground.  That conduit is
intended for burial; I've seen miles of it going in alongside the
streets in Maryland.

>>> Make sure it's properly grounded!
>>
>>    ...and only at one end.
>
> No, that would in fact be dangerous!  The rules for grounding outside
> cable plants, especially aerial ones, are very much different.
<snip>

   You've raised some good points (hey, I'm an indoor guy)...I'll read
up on this a bit and argue with you about it (if needed) later.

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                      "Dammit, now I wants me some
St. Petersburg, FL                  livers 'n gizzards."    -Bill