[rescue] Anyone here familiar with 10Base36 ?!?

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Thu Sep 26 15:17:49 CDT 2002

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 16:32:59 -0400
Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

>    That's the way it's usually run underground.  That conduit is
> intended for burial; I've seen miles of it going in alongside the
> streets in Maryland.

The interesting note here is that underground doesn't mean safe from
lightning.  Apparently (discovery channel) lightning will hit
underground power lines up to 4 feet underground in the right soils.  I
have never played with outdoor fiber, so I have no qualified opinion on
the matter, but any arial anything has a tendency to collect static,
which might be one of the reasonings for metal jacketed fiber.  Normal
electric lines ground to earth at almost every pole.(The neutral, not
the hot line)

Tim